Are there many of you out there who managed to stock up on several packs of ground meat (pork, turkey or beef) to last you during the coronavirus lockdown and you have run out of ideas what to do with all that ground meat?
In Taiwan where I live, we did not have a lockdown as we were very fortunate with only a few cases of infection, however, due to the news of a massive number of cases coming out of Wuhan, China since January 23, 2020 most people had stocked up on extra groceries. I had stocked up on ground meat, fresh chives and spiced tofu. Chives (wrapped in plastic) can be kept in the produce section of the refrigerator for a month and spiced or dried tofu freezes well. Besides making burgers, meat pies, meat loaf, meat sauce for spaghetti, meat balls, here is an idea for an easy Chinese stir fry dish. Hope everyone stays safe during this period!
250g ground pork (or ground turkey or ground beef)
6 squares of dried tofu
handful of chives
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp hoisin sauce
Marinating sauce for ground pork
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp water
pepper to taste
1. Marinate the ground pork for at least an hour.
2. Rinse the dried tofu, cut into small cubes.
3. Rinse the chives, cut into small pieces.
4. Parboil the chives for 2 mins, drain and put aside.
5. Stir fry the marinated ground pork with a tbsp of cooking oil.
6. When the pork is browned, add in the dried tofu and parboiled chives.
7. Stir in the oyster sauce and hoisin sauce and cook together for a minute.
8. Eat with steamed rice. Bon Appetit!